Search
Close this search box.
Community

Distinguished Lecturer Program

The IEEE Photonics Society Distinguished Lecturer Program was designed to honor excellent speakers who have made technical, industrial or entrepreneurial contributions to the field of photonics and to enhance the technical programs of the IEEE Photonics Society Chapters.

How to Request a Distinguished Lecturer

To request a Distinguished Lecturer for an upcoming chapter event, review the list of Distinguished Lecturers’ various talks below and reach out to the lecturer directly via the contact information provided. Distinguished Lecturers are volunteers of the Society, not full-time staff. Meaning, lecturers determine their travel arrangements and time commitment around their individual, work-life balance schedules. 

In order to secure a lecturer, make sure to contact the lecturers early and preferably months prior to your event. If a lecturer is available at the time of your event and accepts a talk invitation, the lecturer will travel to your chapter or give a virtual lecture at no cost to the chapter. 

How to Apply for the Distinguished Lecturer Program

Application Period: June 1 – August 31

Applicants must complete their submission by the submission deadline.

A complete application package submitted must include: 

• List of the applicant’s most significant contributions that qualify the applicant for the program as well as other related accomplishments. Include invited talks that the applicant has given on his/her research.
  • Applicant’s curriculum vita (three-page limit).
  • Endorsements: List the names, affiliations, and emails of individuals who have agreed to write letters of support. (minimum of two required, maximum three)
  • Title and abstract for (1) technical research and (1) career-focused content
  • Video submission of technical presentation abstract (1)

Apply Now!
Submission Deadline: August 31

IEEE Photonics Society Distinguished Lecturers

Chapters may request Distinguished Lecturers to give talks at chapter meetings, chapter-related events or technically co-sponsored conferences, organized by a chapter.

Juergen Czarske DL

Juergen Czarske

Term: 2024
Technische Universität Dresden / TU Dresden

Technical Talk: Computational fiber imaging using digital holography and deep learning for biomedicine and communication

Read Abstract

Light has the potential to recognize the development of diseases, to prevent them or to heal them early and gently. Traditionally, however, lens-based imaging results in bulky systems. We outline the 3D imaging with needle-sized, lensless multicore fiber endoscopes using  holography. Deep learning is promising for label-free cancer diagnostics in neurosurgery using minimally invasive endoscopy. Besides biomedicine, data transmission with fiber networks will be highlighted. Multimode fibers show promise for improving data rates in optical communications but come with the challenge of compensating for scattering effects. Physics-informed deep learning enables to correct the scattering, resulting in advancing security and data rate. Fiber imaging promises advances in various fields such as information, biomedicine and environmental protection.

Career Focused Talk/Professional Development Talk: From clods as a farmer to professorship for laser measurement engineering

Read Abstract

Prof. Czarske grew up on a small farm and the path seemed set, but successes at school and hobbies in physics, chemistry and electronics changed perspectives. After graduating from high school, he was the first in the entire family to study. Supported by the Siemens scholarship, he was able to study not only electrical engineering but also physics. After completing his doctorate, he worked in an industry-oriented research institute and furthermore conducted research in the USA and Japan. In 2004 he founded a chair and institute (Czarske Lab) in Dresden dedicated to laser systems technology, deep holography for advances in biomedicine, fiber communication and green energy.

Tawfique DL

Tawfique Hasan

Cambridge University, UK

Techincal Talk Title: Miniaturization of optical spectrometers

Read Abstract

Optical spectroscopy is widely used in non-contact materials analysis. Although laboratory bench-top spectrometers offer excellent resolution, range and sensitivity, their miniaturization is crucial for portable applications demanding indicative but instantaneous results. Among the recent developments in scaled-down spectrometers, an increasingly popular strategy is to use ‘reconstructive’ or ‘computational’ algorithm-based devices. Typically featuring spectral encoders with known optical responses, the measured electrical signals in such devices are combined to ‘approximate’ the incident spectrum through these algorithms. I will present an evolution of spectrometer miniaturization over the past 30 years and give examples of such disruptive concepts shaping future device technologies.

Career Focused Talk/Professional Development Talk: The joys and tribulations of crossing disciplines in the academia

Read Abstract

Crossing disciplines in science can be a thrilling yet challenging endeavor. It opens up a world of possibilities, fostering innovation and unique perspectives. The joy lies in the unexplored connections and synergies that eventually emerge, stimulating creativity and intellectual growth. However, tribulations accompany this pursuit. Navigating unfamiliar territories requires overcoming countless barriers and bridging knowledge gaps. It demands patience, open-mindedness, and perseverance. Nevertheless, the rewards of crossing disciplinary boundaries make it an adventure worth undertaking. I will talk about my adventures in academia and the lessons I learned in my journey across the disciplines.

JungwonKim DL

Jungwon Kim

Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST), South Korea

Technical Talk Title: It’s the perfect “timing” for optical frequency combs

Read Abstract

Optical frequency combs, with their unique features in both the time and frequency domains, have transformed precision science and engineering over the last two decades. In this lecture, I will present on the latest progress in the ultralow-noise frequency combs and their applications with an emphasis on precision timing, synchronization, and microwave/mm-wave photonics. Both mode-locked laser combs and chip-scale micro-combs can reach quantum-limited timing jitter performances, which allows for various timing applications with unprecedented precision. I will present innovative comb timing applications including attosecond optical timing, on-chip clock distribution networks, ultralow-noise microwave/mm-wave signal generation, photonic analog-to-digital conversion, ranging, imaging and vibration sensing, and timing and synchronization for ultrafast X-ray/electron science and radio astronomy. 

Professional development talk title: What did I do when the “timing” wasn't always ideal for my career and research?

Read Abstract

In the last decade, the application areas of frequency combs have greatly expanded. I’m currently working on several projects that make use of the unique properties of frequency combs. It’s really exciting for me to be able to collaborate and solve problems with experts from various fields, so it’s perfect timing as a researcher. However, I must admit that things do not always go as planned, and there are times when the timing is not ideal for my research plans. I’d like to talk about both good and bad timings in my career and how I dealt with them.  

Cheng Wei Qui DL

Cheng-Wei Qiu

National University of Singapore, Singapore

Technical Talk Title: Chiral Meta-photonics with Bound States in the Continuum

Read Abstract

In this talk, I will report recent progress on how chirality could transcend designs of advanced metasurfaces, sensing, BIC photonics and optical micromanipulations. In particular, we will report very recent results on realizing intrinsic chiral metasurfaces where the engineered slant geometry breaks both in-plane and out-of-plane symmetries. Our result achieves intrinsic chiral bound states in the continuum with near-unity CD of 0.93 and quality factor exceeding 2300 for visible frequencies. We will also cast new perspectives on using photonic orbit angular momentum to effectively discriminate single-size and multi-scale chiral nanostructures.

Professional Development Talk Title: When Low-dimensional Materials Meet Meta-photonics

Read Abstract

Metasurfaces photonics (meta-photonics) and low-dimensional materials have been two important candidates in photonics. In this talk, I will report the most recent developments in plasmonic/dielectric metasurfaces, and focus on how monolayer TMDC and layered 2D materials could be hybridized with metasurfaces to realize novel light behavior, such as zero-dark-current and bipolar semimetal photodetector, monolayer meta-lens, enhanced SHG/PL, and tunable structural colors, by coordinating those two parties. Finally, we will elaborate our new breakthrough on van der Waals polaritonic metasurfaces, as a new roadmap toward ultra-low loss, long-range propagation, topological interfaces, and tailorable on-chip integrated functional devices. This talk illustrates how new photonics directions are identified and explored, serving as a case study for the students and young researchers to find their own niches and career path in the general area of photonic

Daniel Renner DL

Daniel Renner

Atacama Optics and Electronics, USA

Technical Talk Title: Monolithic, Heterogeneous and Hybrid Photonic Integration – There is a role for all

Read Abstract

Photonic integration has been at the center of photonic activity for several years. Over this period, great strides have been made to increase the integration density and integrated chip functionality. This talk will work its way up from the drivers for photonic integration – why do we need Photonic Integrated Circuits (PICs)? What are their similarities and differences with Electronic Integrated Circuits (EICs)? This analysis of integration drivers will lead to a discussion of recent progress on the main paths: monolithic, heterogeneous and hybrid. The talk will conclude with possible approaches to meet the additional demanding considerations for future Quantum PICs.

Professional Development Talk Title: Life at a Photonic Startup – A very personal account.

Read Abstract

Photonic startup business success relies heavily on the uniqueness and quality of its technical know-how. Success also depends heavily on a range of skills and activities beyond technical prowess. Business aspects such as marketing, sales, team leadership, commercial opportunity development, proposal preparation, program management, quality control, budgeting, funding and financial planning among others, are crucially important. This presentation will focus on dissecting all the skills and activities required for photonic startup business success. The presenter will attempt to do this through examples drawn from his own experience as a technical and business practitioner in large and small photonic companies.

Sarun DL

Sarun Sumriddetchkajorn

Institute of Public Policy and Development, Thailand

Technical Talk Title: Unleashing the Power of Agri-Photonics

Read Abstract

Professional Development Talk Title: Becoming an Effective Researcher with Leadership Skills

Read Abstract

Based on my research and management experience in a national research center, I share my experience in insights and practical tips on how to cultivate leadership skills while conducting research. By embracing these qualities, graduate students and researchers can inspire themselves and their peers, foster a culture of innovation, and make meaningful research works that benefits to society.

Archived Distinguished Lecturer Talks

Check out recorded talks from current and past Distinguished Lecturers on a variety of technical and professional development topics.